Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What is 13?

13.  Perhaps one of the most intriguing numbers out there.  To many it is an unlucky number.  Friday the 13th, 13th floors of hotels that don't exist, 13 loops for a hangman's noose and many other examples.  It can, however, also be a number of significance.   It is the smallest number with eight letters in its name spelled out in English.  I bet that tidbit of information is going to change this whole entire blog.  The American flag has 13 stripes symbolizing the first 13 colonies of this great country.  13 was my football jersey in high school.  But to me, 13 is going to symbolize change and success.  

This is the year of 2013.  First of all, it's a miracle we even made it considering the Mayan calendar.  More importantly, this is the year that I will achieve my goals that I've set for myself that I haven't yet achieved.  My wife and I have been working on a business for a little over a year now and this is going to be the year we finally will achieve success.  This is also the year that I will hit my weight goal, which is what this blog is mainly about.

I am a person who has struggled with weight most of my life.  In junior high and high school I was very active which helped me to stay in shape.  But I was still always the bigger kid.  I was a kicker in high school, but was as big as some of the lineman.  I played soccer and outweighed most of the kids on my team by 20 pounds.  This isn't to say I was morbidly obese, just heavier than most.  I also have a larger build so this is somewhat expected.  However, the main culprit of my weight is and was food.  I enjoy food.  Sometimes too much.  

Right now as I am typing this blog I weigh 244 pounds.  That is hard to write but is the truth.  One thing I've learned is that I must be accountable for my actions and the first step to realizing a problem is admitting that there is one.  

The purpose of this blog, however, is not to loathe in my own self-pity.  In contrast to that it is going to be a blog of hope!  My purpose in creating and updating this blog is to be accountable to all of the readers that read this, however few or many they may be.  I hope that I can get people to follow me just so that I can have more motivation to hit my goals.  I hope that people will hold me accountable to the goals I've made and that each one can act as a personal "coach".  But mostly, I hope that this will help some other person to realize their potential and make 13 their year as well.  

This isn't going to be a get fit quick blog or anything like that.  This is simply going to be my thoughts, things I've learned, quotes that motivate me, and recipes that taste good that will help me on my quest.  This is also going to be somewhat of a journal for me.  I hope by sharing my thoughts and putting them in writing, it will help me realize what I've been missing and help me find the solution to my lifelong health goals.  At the same time, I hope other people will share their thoughts, passions, goals and whatever else they feel like posting.  If you find something that you would like to include, I will certainly look at it and put it on here. 

My goal this year is to break the 200 mark.  I haven't been there since high school.  I will get there though and hope some of you will join me in my quest.  (My wife says her brother hates the word journey so I will do my best not to use that word.)  Wish me luck!  I hope that many join me in this adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment